Music as an Agent of Change

Music as an Agent of Change filled my Global Citizenship or Aesthetic Perspectives requirement. I have never taken a music class before, especially at a college level, so my first impression was that this class was going to be interesting and I did not know if I was going to like it. Therefore, I did not know what to expect for this course and was a bit nervous. However, I ended up absolutely loving it! I have a huge passion for music and listen to it every day. This course allowed me to explore different areas and genres of music that I do not usually listen to, which let me be more open minded, and even had me listening to a wider variety of music on a daily basis. Not only did I widened my music variety, but I also learned the significance of music and how it can be used to display emotion during a specific period of time, like the Vietnam Era. I now look at music differently and try to find the underlying meaning. My teacher, Dr. Kinzer, did a really good job of laying out the material and showing us the music and music videos and how they related to the Vietnam War. You could tell he was very passionate about music and this course, which made me enjoy it even more. This course was not very assignment heavy, rather it involved a lot of discussion and listening. Therefore, it was not very lecture heavy and more hands on and listening, which I tend to learn better with. The assignment that I attached below, one of the few we did, is an example of the homework we would have. We would learn and do examples of music analysis and comparison in class and then we would need to complete this practice outside of class. I actually found it very fun to listen to music as homework and compare older songs to newer songs!