HON English 165

This Honors English 165 class filled the foundation level, first year requirements. I had this class every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I can honestly say that I loved going to the class every single time. I took this course with Professor Ruday and he made this course special. I found this course easy to follow along with and very interesting to learn about. What surprised me was how fun I had during it and how interesting I found English. An English course, for me, has always been a hit or a miss. Throughout my whole education, I have taken English every year. It can be very repetitive and in some cases I do not learn many new things. However, this course taught me many different lessons and techniques to use in this next level of writing. Writing is a huge part of your college career and career after college. Professor Ruday harped on this importance and taught us very solid and successful techniques, and writing skills, that I will continue to use in my years to come. I learned that college level writing is very challenging. This class was very time depending when it came to the writing of an essay. It took precise thinking, time and effort to complete the essay at the level it needed to be completed at. I believe that, the individual meetings we had with Professor Ruday, helped make this process easier and allowed for critique, and praise, in our writing before the final product. I learned a lot about what environment I work best in. In this course, we had the same schedule for every class period, and I knew what to expect each class. This precise and organized styled class allowed me to strive, both in and out of classroom. For example, we had a PowerPoint throughout the class that we would follow, that outlined the lessons we were learning throughout the day. It started with an overview and followed with notes, examples and practice. I love having notes, because I like to have something to look back on when I’m stuck or in need for advice on the material. However, the practice was the most important part, that allowed me to know how each writing style should look like, and also allowed me to talk with my group members around me. Overall, I really enjoyed this class, and have learned many different useful techniques and skills that will be incorporated into my writings throughout the rest of my college experience and in the future. In this artifact below, it is my final essay from the class. This essay gives a class reflection of what I learned and took away from the class. It dives into the specific details on the material and the specific writing skills I learned. It also takes pieces of my prior work in the class to show how I incorporated these skills and learned from them. I am very proud of this writing and I believe in perfectly displays the knowledge I have gained throughout this Honors course.