Study Abroad

CTZN 395- Issues in Alaska

During the summer of 2022, I had the privilege to visit Alaska for my study abroad requirement. I was extremely excited to get to experience a new area and all it has to offer. We were able to see so much of the state, including Anchorage, Fairbanks, Seward, Denali National Park, and everything in between. The trip taught me a lot about the issues that impact Alaska, which is a topic I was very unfamiliar with. I was in a group that focused on climate change specifically, which I thoroughly enjoyed, since that is a topic I was already interested in prior to the class. Being able to not only learn about the issues, but see how it was affecting the state for myself was very valuable to me and gave me a new perspective. In addition to learning about Alaska’s concerns, I really enjoyed seeing the natural wonders that the state has to offer, such as the huge mountains and variety of wildlife. Being in a different environment encouraged me to want to see more of the world. This class also taught me a lot of valuable skills while doing activities such as place as text. I learned a lot about how to educate myself while immersed in a different environment.