3.3

Prepare and present, orally and in writing, to scientists in other disciplines and audiences outside the sciences.

• review paper from 288
  • NurVA presentation

As discussed earlier, presenting and writing information to scientists is important because then your research could possibly be accepted by a wide variety of the scientific community. However, it’s also important to also explain research to people that are outside of the scientific community, since not everyone in the human population can understand the scientific jargon.

Longwood has a unique opportunity to present research to the community of Farmville via the research and inquiry research showcase, where you have to present to a general audience and not a scientific one. Every semester I have presented at this research showcase, and one of my first presentations was for my CHEM 111 class. We made a poster to discuss how excess nitrogen and phosphorus affect algal growth.

I also have written for general audiences. In my BIOL 288 class, I had to take my literature review paper, which was scientific and technical, and cater it towards a general audience paper. This paper was well written, in my opinion, and I feel as though I catered it towards an audience that doesn’t understand scientific terms too well.

I definitely grew in this goal because of the practice and opportunities that I had at Longwood. The research and inquiry showcase helped tremendously to present research to people in a way that they would understand, and often in classes we have to write this way as well.

For my future as a doctor, this is very helpful to explain it to patients to make sure that they understand their diagnosis, what is happening, and that they are comfortable with me in general.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1iLWhJ-NbMkycmXVGp7ngfl-vhn4kQw8NW0pS3W0jyS8/edit?usp=sharing

Loader Loading…