2.1

Evaluate, interpret, and apply experimental design and draw valid conclusions from experiments.

Experiments are important for the sciences because it helps to understand how the world works, and what we can do to simulate that. One example of an experiment that was a pinacle for the science field was the radioactive phosphorus and sulfur experiments. This was very important experiment because it helped to identify what was the genetic code in the body, proteins or DNA. Ultimately the answer because DNA and the results then threw other scientists into studying DNA and finding the structure, how it replicates, etc.

In my personal experience, I have done this in many classes, including in my beginning biology class and Immunology. In Biology 120, we ended up having to create our own project, which my group members and I decided to manipulate the amount of light that a plant species. The artifact for this presentation and how we analyzed the data is located below.

In Immunology, we were given a case study, in which we worked in a group to figure out a diagnosis for a patient. Our professor would then provide us with the results of different tests that we would request. There were multiple weeks of asking for these tests, but came to an end when we came up with our correct diagnosis. We were then tasked with creating a powerpoint about how we came up with this diagnosis, information about the disorder, different treatments for it as well. This presentation can also be found below as well.

Being able to interpret data that is collected from a research lab, whether it is personal research or you are reading a paper, is a very important skill. It shows that you understand what is happening in the experiment and helps you to be able to explain it to someone else as well, if they are struggling to understand what is happening.

This skill is important in my future as a doctor because there will be a lot of changes on how to diagnose someone. For example, a lot of research is done in biotechnology, such as making machines and tests more effective or less invasive. Having this skill in my back pocket allows me to be able to read papers on the different types of technology that is changing, early detection techniques, etc., and implement the new knowledge into practice with patients.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1EyTJKmt7C8ROWblmyRcJSLLMSdWMs2e_ScDtbeJrNJE/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1G5A1K1xQcHcQ10NBqukywufx0x337t0PEEdDcaw1QPY/edit?usp=sharing