3.2

Effectively communicate in multiple contexts within the discipline.

Another way to make your research apparent to the scientific community is through presentations. Often as a researcher, this is sometimes the best way to effectively communicate your research as you are there in person for someone to ask you questions and you can answer them on the spot.

In almost all of my biology classes I have had to present my independent research that I performed in the lab portion of the class. One of my first presentations, on how light affects plant growth, was in a freshman year course where I didn’t know how to effectively communicate the knowledge to my peers.

Now as a senior, this semester I will be presenting my senior thesis research at two conferences. The difference between a classroom and a conference is that one is ‘real’, while the other is just for a grade. The research that I have been performing hasn’t been published by anyone else, as of yet, so presenting this research for the first time to a group of scientists is nerve-wracking. Because of the pandemic, many conferences are online, which means that I decided to pre-record my presentation to make it the best presentation possible.

The two presentation types, you can also see the growth that I made when at least making a presentation look nice. With talking speed though, I haven’t exactly mastered that area to make it slower, but that’s always something for me to work on.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1EyTJKmt7C8ROWblmyRcJSLLMSdWMs2e_ScDtbeJrNJE/edit?usp=sharing