3.1

Write effectively in multiple contexts within the discipline.

In a biology field/major, you have to write a lot in order to make the research that you have found out be accepted widely by the scientific community. The different contexts to write are through review papers, research papers, proposals, and general audience papers.

My first experience was writing a review paper in BIOL 288, where we are supposed to be introduced to multiple kinds of writing, including that of a general audience paper. The reason I am talking about the review paper is because it was the first time that I had actually sat down and written the way that I wanted to write, not because of time constraints or procrastination. This document relays information regarding different techniques that eye doctors use to diagnose a patient with a disease, or how they can determine what is happening with a patient.

The most recent experience I’ve had with writing is doing a proposal paper for my senior thesis project. I had to write about a 10 page paper explaining the research that I would be performing that next year. When comparing the two pieces, you can see my growth in my writing style and how dedicated I have gotten to making a piece of writing well done.

In my future, hopefully as a doctor, I don’t expect to be writing as much if I decide to not participate in research. But research has always been a passion of mine, so I expect myself to try and go into some kind of research in my future.

Loader Loading…

https://longwood.box.com/s/y18qxhw5s5yxlf5katok9rfmnfogokra