Study Away

Every honors student at Longwood University is required to do some form of study abroad. Due to the unfortunate restrictions and impacts of Covid-19, I wasn’t able to move forward with some of the trips I hoped to do. Instead, I ended up participating in a Brock Experience at Longwood where we traveled all around the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, and I had just as much fun. Now, I know, this isn’t abroad, it was considered “study away” and the Honors College said it checked the box!

It all revolved around stewardship issues within the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, also known as the GYE. By “stewardship issues” I mean that we discuss how different influential groups, such as humans, fires, or wolves impact the park and the large area surrounding it.

At one point, we got to stop by a group of museums at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, WY. I was technically supposed to look at all of them, but I was too fascinated by the firearms museum. I’m not joking when I say they had an insane amount of guns in there. It was actually incredible to see the array and range of weapons. Even ones from years long past. There was even a section dedicated to ornate designs on them. Take a look for yourself.

During the trip we traveled between a number of places in the GYE, such as Jackson, WY or Gardiner, MT. All of the views were beautiful.

I wish I could show you pictures of them, but this website is saying I’ve reached the max limit for uploading photos! Unfortunate.