Letter to Senior Self

Dear Senior self,

You did it! You graduated from undergrad, now you are on your way to graduate school.  You’re trying to make the decision on what graduate school you want to go.  Whether it’s continuing your education at Longwood University or continuing your education at another university.  As well as graduate school, you are also probably looking at all of your different job opportunities and trying to figure out which one is the right choice for you.  You are trying to decide whether to work at a school near your home or work somewhere farther away.  My preference as of right now, the ending of my freshman year, is to work somewhere close to home, so I could be close to my friends and family.

Freshman year was really rough, especially the first year.  It was difficult for me to make connections with others because my shyness was holding me back.  There were plenty of days when I wanted to just give up and not try anymore.  Hopefully as you are reading this in 2023, you aren’t as shy anymore and you have outgrown your shyness.  You have met so many people that you probably wouldn’t have ever met if it wasn’t for college.  Through it all you have made some life long friends and memories that you will cherish for a lifetime. I’m glad you didn’t give up and that you persevered all the way to your graduation.

So far, I have joined multiple organizations on campus.  I am the historian for B.A.S.I.C gospel choir, the treasurer for Imprint praise dance team, the director of graphics for Lancer Productions, and a peer mentor.  I have also joined an honors society, Alpha Lambda Delta.  All of these organizations have helped me grow tremendously my freshman year.  I can’t wait to see how these organizations have helped me grow all the way to my senior year.

One goal I have before I graduate is to make presidents list.  I have made deans list both semesters of my freshman year.  The second semester of my freshman year, I was really close to making presidents list, I was a couple points away.  Hopefully, as my senior self is reading this, I have accomplished my goal of making presidents list.

My last remarks are to never change who you are.  Always show kindness and compassion to everyone you meet.  And lastly, never give up on your dreams.

Love,

Freshman year Tamia