Letter to senior self

Loader Loading…

Going into my junior year, and looking back on my Letter to Senior Self, I kind of laugh a little. It’s very weird reading a letter you wrote to yourself two years ago. At the time, I definitely thought that my wants for my future wouldn’t have changed that much; boy was I wrong. I have a completely different major declared and plan to do something else with it. I mentioned in my letter about the people I use to spend my time with, freshman roommates as well as high school friends. What I think is incredible to me, is that I am still very close to those people. In fact I still live with my freshman roommate and go and visit high school friends at their universities and summer homes too. I feel like this relates to the community pillar. I have aways thought of my friends and family as my community, especially coming from a military family. We never had a place to call home, but the people around you, is what defined it. Scholarship is something I’ve grown to understand and value in everyday life. We recently had a coaching change on the softball team. Our new coach emphasizes scholarship and its importance to your character. While I always knew it applied to my academic life, I have recently seen it apply to all aspects of my life. The final pillar, service, is something I have always loved doing. Last year, the softball team undertook many community service projects. One of the projects I was blessed to work at, was at a place called Morgan’s Mutts. This family takes in dogs off the streets and finds them homes. For this service project, we washed a litter of puppies that recently came in and worked with dogs on leashes and basic training. Ironically, one day my two roommates and I decided to come back again after that to just look at the dogsā€¦ and one of my roommates ended up taking one home! Despite her not being my dog, it really was special that we were able to give this dog a home and help make her life as good as it can be.

Just a snapshot into my time at Longwood!