All About me

My Longwood Journey

My name is Tucker and I’m a biology major with a general biology concentration; however, when I started at Longwood I was undeclared. I knew when I arrived that I should be a bio major, but due to lots of self-doubt, I decided to go undeclared. To be sure of what I wanted to do, I took many different classes that I was interested in, including history, sociology, and Spanish. Sadly, nothing quite clicked like biology did for me in high school, so I officially declared a bio major in my second semester. Along the way to declaring, I made some great new friends who encouraged me to follow my heart and find my major. Many of my new friends I met through HSA (the Honors Student Association) and the Cormier Honors College. They are some of the greatest people I’ve ever met and are truly inspiring and supportive. I’ve also made some friends in classes I’ve taken and in APO (Alpha Phi Omega). So far, Longwood has been great and the people there have been even better. I’m looking to get more involved in the Longwood community, perhaps by joining more clubs. I just want to give back to Longwood, as it’s done so much for me.

My Journey to Longwood

I first heard of Longwood during my Sophomore year at Blacksburg High School. That spring, I decided to tour the campus and learn more about the university. Instantly, I felt a connection to the school and a sense of home there. The remaining two years in high school, I found myself touring many other colleges and universities, such as: Sweet Briar College, Berry College, the University of North Carolina at Wilmington and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. None of them interested me (although Berry College was gorgeous). When it came time to start applying to schools, I knew Longwood was my top choice. I applied to them first and later to Radford University, as a backup. A few months after applying I learned of the Cormier Honors College at Longwood and did a weekend event they had. I saw the sense of community and scholarship within them and decided that I too wanted to be a part of that. Soon after, I applied to the Cormier Honors College and was later accepted. Once accepted to both Longwood and the Honors College, I made my deposit to the University and was on my way to becoming a Lancer.