Welcome All!

Published June 1, 2020 by Sarah Irby

Hello and Welcome to my professors, mentor and peers! I am excited to share this unique experience with you all.

My years in the Therapeutic Recreation program at Longwood have shaped me tremendously into the individual I am today. One of the more formative experiences for me was completing the senior poster presentation. We had the option of working with a partner or going at it alone, I chose to work alone (not typical of me). Upon completion of this demanding assignment, I had found the confidence to go my own way and make decisions for myself (and conduct research like no body’s business). Furthermore, this is not a specific, one time experience, but realizing my worth and capabilities over time has greatly enhanced my mental preparation for this internship.

By the end of this internship I hope to be able to develop a new program for ServiceSource that the Recreational Therapy department can implement into their services. I also would like to become more knowledgeable about community integration processes and procedures.

I am interested in adventure therapy and helping people overcome mental health challenges.

I look forward to learning and growing with you all over the next several weeks.

-Sarah Irby

2 comments on “Welcome All!

• I really like your blog Sarah! For constructive feedback I would say for your book club post, maybe you can split up the two questions more so that you can better understand each separate question. Second, I really like the pink because I feel that it fits you however for some of your post maybe put like a white background or upload it like a word doc so it might be a little easier to read. For the positive feedback, I really like the quote that you added into your header.

• Sarah! I love this. As soon as your link opened I smiled. This is so bright and so reflective of your personality and I love that you took the time to put your own creativity into this assignment. I did notice that you are missing a piece of the rubric, an additional experience. Other than that, the only thing I can think of would be an example or two of adventure therapy to better showcase what you’re interested in. Great job!

• Comments are closed.