Journal Entry Two

My results of the Big Five personality profile were surgency 28, agreeableness 19, adjustment 24, conscientiousness 30, and openness to experiences 34. My strongest dimension was openness to experiences and my weakest was agreeableness. I agree with these statement as I have a higher cognitive intelligence than emotional intelligence. I tend to think more critically and I have horrible emotional control. This could be due to trauma and not learning the proper way to handle my emotions. I think this would hinder me as a leader. I have improved identifying triggers to where I know I need to step away from a situation but when trying to step up to the plate within my mom’s household it has ended in more additional trauma. I know this is harder in a personal setting for me than it would a professional setting as without the personal attachment I am able to not have emotional attachment.

My results of the Motive Profile are Need for Achievement 30, Need for Power 28, and Need for Affiliation 19.  I never thought of myself as a person that is in need of achievement in the textbook it states, “McClelland’s research showed that only about 10 percent of the U.S. population has a very “strong” dominant need for achievement.” (p.41). It seems not many people in the United States have that drive. Yet, I feel it would not be completely useful as a social worker as it seems self-centered goal-oriented rather now client oriented.  The need for power is very accurate as I do have what could be considered a control issue. There are certain way that I do tasks and it is extremely hard for me to let others take the lead. Usually, my mind comes to the conclusion that their method is wrong before giving the person or method the benefit of the doubt. Also, the need for affiliation is completely me as well. It is somewhat of a paradox as I prefer to be in control and I also would want to be the bystander. I stated in my previous journal that I only follow certain people. In reality, I do not really care if people like me or want me apart of their group or organization because I live by the motto, “strive to help others” and if someone has a problem with its theirs. It states in the textbook that this need is associated with high emotional intelligence, which I do not have. I think is only directed towards personal relationships rather than in professional settings. I can easily put on my charm and do what is needed, regardless of personal feelings towards someone that I do not care for.

The results that I calculated on my Ethical Behavior was 92/100. I answered the questions honestly but majority of the second half the assessment, I have never been around. It demonstrates my inexperience within the professional settings to see these unethical behaviors. I could be oblivious to others behaviors within the work environment as I try to do my job and stay busy.

I will use this information moving forward as a social worker by checking myself when I feel I am trying to control too much around me, understand my own triggers, and emotional control. I have faults within my persona but I strive every day to be a better version of myself and this will make me a better social worker.