Journal Entry Ten

This first self-assessment I received a 60 on the scale of strong strategic leadership potential. I think this is pretty accurate. I do not plan small tasks in advance but I do plan long term. My end goal is to have a job by the time I am 26 due to insurance reasons. I think I am strategic when it comes to planning long term. My computer purchases recently were expensive but this is a very long-term purchase. This computer should last at least ten years. I do have plans the next three to five years. I hope to attend VCU for my graduate degree in clinical social work, then work towards getting my license in clinical social work. After that, many doors will be open for me. I plan to save up to buy a house by the time I am 28. Change leadership is something that I consider to be in the dimension of. I am an open person to learn and grow through experiences. I tend to shift away from the status que as I am a very unique individual. I do not want to be a part of the masses; I want to be uniquely me. The only time I do not want to try new things is when it involves food, I am extremely picky. I do however encourage others to try new experiences and take the chance. I tend to take the dive when my heart calls me to do something. Even if it hurts, I move forward and I try to learn from that hurt.

The best approach to strategical decision making within the realm of social work is how is it going to affect the clients and the population that I am working with? What are the positive and negatives to each decision? I also think that every situation calls for a different approach and how that is depends on the needs of the interest in question.

Resistance to change is more likely to succeed if the forces resisting the change are stronger than the forces driving the need for change.  Describe some of the specific tactics that resisters could employ to thwart change efforts.  How and when would you use these tactics as a social worker?

There are some tactics that resisters can employ that can mess up the change efforts would be demonstrating uncertainty towards the change. This could be by stating it out loud and doing things to avoid the change process. This could be by showing that they lack confidence in the change process and that it will not succeed. This can be applied to social work as working with clients through the change process can be met with resistance. It is a social workers job to supportive, demonstrate the benefits of these changes, and make sure they have the proper tools to make change.