Journal Entry Three

I received the results of family 190, professional 170, spiritual 150, intellectual 150, physical 130, social 110, and community 100. I was not surprised that family was my number one personal value as I was raised with the mindset that “family is everything.” Although, recently I have discovered that in reality all a person has in this world, is themselves, no one can help a person besides themselves. I was somewhat surprised that spiritual and intellectual tied as I feel two are the opposites of one another. Community being the lowest did not surprise me as I have somewhat become a hermit the past 5 years or so trying to distance myself from bad influences.

My values could impact my work as a social worker due to personal insecurities. An example would be if someone was complaining about their parents wanting to spend genuine time with them and wanting to love them, I could possibly envious of the family life that I had missed out one and did not have the ability to have.  This can contribute to my biases of my own family pressures and stigma that has companied the word itself.

The value that I hold in as a professional will be beneficial and impactful towards my work as a social worker. I think the drive to be the best I can and help those that I encounter can help me to keep the “I:” out of my client’s treatment and case. My biases, views, traumas, and insecurities do not belong within my professional life and I know that I am able to create that barrier to separate both.

Besides my value that I hold for family, I think the other top three would help me to develop my leadership abilities and be able to reach the potential that I am capable of. Also think understanding that experiences, values, beliefs and social identities are diverse among the population. These differences are what makes the process more humanizing. My values will be able to guide me through that as well as following the NASW and guidance from my superiors. This is the strategy that I plan to follow as a practitioner to be inclusive and open to all dialogues of conversation.