Letter to My Senior Self

Dear Senior Selena,

First year of college is over. It was the beginning and ending of many things. The past eight months have taught me so much about myself, the people around me, and surroundings. During the summer, I was excited to leave home and meet new people. When I got to Longwood, I was mixed with so many emotions. I was thrilled for a new beginning, but grieved leaving my family behind. During the past year, I have grown mentally, physically, and emotionally. I experienced pain leaving my brother behind, despite being a phone call or FaceTime away. I experienced loneliness leaving my four best friends behind each going to a different college in Virginia. I experienced sickness without the aid of my mother. I experienced misunderstandings with those among me. At times, I debated on transferring to Virginia Commonwealth University to be closer to my family. But overall, I was able to overcome it.

Through Longwood, I was able to form friendships that helped me get through hardships. Longwood led me to find my best friend, Kelsey Swegle. Moreover, it opened up opportunities for me to get involved. I joined the Student Nursing Association, Outdoor Club, The National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS), Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, and Alpha Phi Omega. In addition, I was able to take leadership positions, such as shadowing the treasurer for Outdoor Club, secretary of NSLS, and historian for the newly initiated spring members of Alpha Phi Omega. Not only was I fortunate enough to partake in these organizations, but I also got selected to become a Resident Assistant (RA) for the 2019-2020 academic year.

As a upcoming freshman, I did not know what to expect. I was afraid of the school work and people. But when I got to Longwood, I realized it was not that hard. What was hard was leaving family and friends behind and having to become independent. Not only that, but also making decisions that could be life changing without the hovering of parents. What college taught me about freshman year is that you have to find your niche of people. This can mean finding new people to talk to or removing yourself from toxic relationships or situations. Moreover, it is about what YOU make out of college. You have the power to decide how you want your experience to be. Staying inside your dorm everyday does not allow you to see all the opportunities Longwood has to offer. It is also okay when things don’t work out between you and your roommate or whatever the situation may be. It is important to stay strong no matter what and I hope you continue to do that for the next three years. There are always new doors opening, which mine led me to meet amazing people who will later be recognized. Furthermore, I learned how to cope with situations. Thanks to my very best friend, Kelsey, I was able to step out of my comfort zone by joining Outdoor Club (my friends at home are still shocked I joined this). The outcome of this was to heal me from thinking about my family at home and served as a distraction. Being able to surround yourself with people that make you feel good about yourself and have the same values as you, helps SO much when you feel down. I owe it all to Kelsey because she has been there through it all.

As a rising senior, I know you will feel the same amount of emotions you did when you began freshman year, but probably more. You will have probably met so many more peers and professors. I know it will be a sad moment when you get sent off at the Honors sendoff or when you have to do pass downs for Alpha Phi Omega and leave your little(s) behind. But overall, you will remember all the good memories these individuals brought in to your life. These next three years, I hope to continue being involved within Longwood and finding new opportunities. I hope to meet new people, the more the merrier. I hope to accomplish many achievements. I hope to pass all my nursing classes. I hope to maintain and begin new relationships among my peers and professors. I hope to be confident in all my abilities. I hope to be successful and walk across that stage. As a senior, I hope to look back on this and think that if I could go through all of that, I can get through anything. I hope to be optimistic even when things seem to be falling apart. I hope you remember why you chose Longwood in the first place because you said it felt like home, the 100% passing scores of the nursing program, and your capability to be in the Honors College. I hope you never forget why you are in college in the first place to make your parents proud. But most of all, your brother. He is the reason why and I know you remember it everyday, but I want you to know he is the person you should make the most proud of because he believes in you everyday. Because of him, you have changed as a person and I hope you continue to do so for the better by being helpful and much more. Wherever life will take you, remember that things will always work out. If things get rough, remember to not worry about it if it will not matter in 5 years. That is the advice you live by everyday and I hope you continue to do so by not dwelling on the past. Take each day as a new beginning and make the best of it. Think before you act. Always ask yourself what your parents would want you to do. Moreover, as you get closer to graduation I hope you have finally overcame the fear of driving in the rain. I also hope you find a job or get accepted into a masters program upon graduating. There are so many things that we cannot see coming, but remember it all happens for a reason, whether that is a lesson being taught or an experience you never want to end. Lastly, I hope you achieve becoming a nurse practitioner in neurology.

Thank you Kelsey S., Cameron R., Sam K-C., Sarah Katherine S., Hannah R., Lucas H., Mathew B., Mathew W., Sarah W., David G., Shannon S., Sofia P., Ellie S., Ryan W., Blake C., APO, Outdoor Club, SNA, NSLS Exec, and many more.

With love,

Freshman Selena