Alaska

Alaska Brock Experience: June 17-June 25, 2022

The preparation for Alaska began in May directly after finals were completed. I attended three long days where I received an abundant amount of information to prepare for the trip to Alaska in June. During that time I learned about various topics our group would be researching during our time there. My issue group decided to focus on subsistence hunting and fishing rights for Alaskan Natives. Prior to our departure, we researched as much as possible to gain an understanding of the types of questions we should be asking our stakeholders and other people we encounter in Alaska.

The final assignment for the course was to write a paper for the prompt “The Next Chapter.” I chose to write about subsistence living with a specific focus on subsistence fishing. This paper offers pieces of my experience in Alaska, conversations I had with people I encountered, and information I learned about subsistence living.

During my time in Alaska, we spent most of our time in Fairbanks, Seward, and Anchorage. We also visited Denali National Park, and Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve. The landscape was beautiful and so pure and clean everywhere we went. We saw a wide variety of wildlife from a moose, to a humpback whale, to black bears on the side of mountains. This course provided an experience I will never forget and broadened my perspective to pay more attention to things happening around me.

Loader Loading…