Journal Entry #6

In the self-assessments, I scored high in political behavior, and between the four political behavior attributes, I scored highest in developing good working relationships and being loyal, honest and a team player. I believe this is true, especially in relation to the other two attributes: learning organizational power and culture and gaining recognition. I try to get along well with who I am working with by being open, honest, and inclusive. I also have professional skills like timeliness, respect, and communication which all work together to form healthy working relationships with coworkers or classmates.

In the final two assessments, I scored low in effective networking and high in effective negotiation/networking. The assessment assured that students tend to score lower in effectiveness in networking because of lack of experience in the working field, so I understand why my score is lower. As I finish my BSW, move on to get my MSW, and get a job, I believe my score will be higher as I meet new people within the field. Within these self-assessments, I learned that I am still learning as a student, and I am not fully in the field, yet, which is okay. I think I would have had a different reaction to my score if I was currently employed and graduated with my degree already, but since I am not, I think my score is expected.

My one-minute self-sell is, “I am a social work major at Longwood University, and I plan to get my master’s degree in social work at VCU. I have interned at the Prince Edward County Department of Social Services, and I plan to intern at LOC Family Services and get a job working in advocacy and criminal justice policy change after I get my master’s.” It is a bit choppy, but in conversation, it would flow more naturally. As I enter the field of social work, I could use my one-minute self-sell when meeting people at my internship next semester or when speaking to professors at Longwood, professors when I get my masters, or people from other fields, too.