Journal Entry #4

In the Behavioral Leadership Style self-assessment, I scored high in both high task leadership style and high people leadership style. I believe these scores are accurate because in leadership roles, I utilize skills within each of these leadership styles to be most efficient and useful as a leader. In the University of Michigan Leadership Model, I scored high in the task leadership style which is correlated to a job-centered leadership style rather than an employee-centered style. I also believe this to be true because I tend to focus more on getting the task done well and becoming more efficient. I prefer to work individually rather than in groups, so my leadership style often reflects this because I prioritize the outcome of the project rather than the cohesion of the group. In the Leadership Grid Style, I scored high in both concern for people and production which falls in the category of team leader. According to the text, team leaders “strive for maximum performance and maximum employee satisfaction.” This grid style is ideal in most situations because the leader is giving maximum effort and concern for both aspects of leadership: a healthy workplace environment and efficiency in the workplace. In regard to the Ohio State Leadership Model, I have high consideration and high structure which directly correlate to my scores of job-centered leadership in the University of Michigan Leadership Model. My Leader Motive Profile shows that I have a high need for achievement and a lower need for affiliation. The outcomes of these assessments have been consistent to one another to demonstrate that my leadership style is focused more on job rather than forming relationships with employees. While I have scored lower on employee-centered leadership styles, I do/would still implement employee-centered approaches, but personally, it can be more difficult to “code-switch” between the two. In the final assessment, I scored higher in motivating factors than maintenance factors which demonstrates that I am more motivated by achievement and praise. This correlates to my scores of a high need for achievement, too.

I think these results could impact me as a social worker in both the workplace and with my clients. It can affect the way I work through each case and how effective I am at helping my clients, but it can also affect the way I interact with both my clients and employees. Based on my results, I think that the best roles for me would include a role that focuses on the production and organization of the agency. Some areas of improvement, based on my results, include working on the employee-supervisor relationships and workplace environment rather than putting full focus on the production and end result.