Journal Entry #1

My results from the Leadership Potential assessment came to a total of 36 which indicates that I may have middle to high leadership potential. I think this score is fairly accurate in describing my leadership, especially since I believe my leadership potential has grown in the past few years. In group projects in class, I tend to take on leadership roles by delegating tasks to each group member and facilitating conversations about the project, but in my leadership positions in my clubs and organizations, I take on the role of “follower” by completing tasks that are delegated to me and giving input rather than leading the discussion. My results from the Managerial Leadership Skills assessment showed that I scored 15 on each leadership skill (technical, interpersonal, and decision-making). I found this surprising because I believe my responses to the questionnaire might have changed depending on the situation I was in. While at times I do not enjoy working with people or things, I believe that I am good at working with both. I think that my strengths include completing tasks by the deadline and following directions, but my weaknesses include creative thinking because my mind is focused on the logistics of things.

As a social worker, I could apply this information by following policies and agency rules, meeting deadlines, and interacting with different people which can include other social workers, agencies, clients, or people with identities different from my own. Knowing where I score on each assessment can help me understand where my strengths are as a social worker and where I can still improve. These scores and information can also help me understand what position might be best for me whether it is a managerial position in an agency, a micro social worker, a policy worker, an educator, etc.