Journal Entry #10

The results from the self-assessments showed that I have strong strategic leadership and that I am open to change. In the second self-assessment, I reflected on my strategic thinking skills. My reflection stated that I am a strategic thinker, and I like to plan ahead and plan out long-term plans. I like to know my end goal, so I know the steps I need to complete in order to meet that goal. One goal I have for myself is to get my masters and make personal and professional connections with professors, professionals, and other masters students. When I get my masters, I hope to gain a better idea of what agencies and organizations I may be interested in working for after I get my masters, so I may continue planning my future. I do like to leave some room for spontaneity and impulse, so I become more accustomed to immediate change and do not get my hopes up if my future does not go according to plan. In my personal life, I like some things to stay consistent because I like tradition and familiarity, but I am also open to change because I like newness, and I believe that change leads to growth.

When utilizing strategic leadership, leaders must balance the interests of many stakeholders, and I believe the best way to do this is to remain unbiased in your decision-making. Looking at these decisions, a leader should be objective to the situation and reflect on our Code of Ethics to ensure the decisions being made are ethical and not self-serving. When change may be unnecessary, resisting these efforts may be a good option. Social workers can utilize tactics to resist change by being vocal about their opinions, holding a forum/discussion to understand the general consensus of the group, and negotiating and coming up with a plan in lieu of the plan for change.