Honors Courses

Evolution (BIOL 399)

This course required me to venture out of my comfort zone and collect data from multiple locations. We had a semester project that required us to examine the teaching of evolution in the United States as our topic. We decided to focus on public vs private zoos. The data collection was done by either us …

Genetics (BIOL 324)

Genetics is an Honors course I took as one of the required courses for my major in Biology. This course was without a doubt one of my more intensive and time consuming, due to the Honors’ project completed throughout the semester. I chose the following artifact below because it reflects the many complications that come …

Goal 13-Advanced Writing Seminar (ENGL 400)

This course acted less like the typical English class of read a book and discuss it in class for 50 minutes, and was more of a semester long project. It provided me with experience in teamwork, interviewing, and historical writing all while trying to create this magazine of historical stories of the local community. I …

Goal 5-Statistical Decision Making (MATH 171)

Statistical Decision Making was a course I took for general education goal 5 (mathematical thought) of my major in biology. Math was never a subject that brought much excitement to me throughout school. However, after completing this course I was able to reevaluate my preexisting attitude towards mathematics. I largely credit this to professor Wears …

Goal 7-History of Western Civilization (Hist 100)

This honors course was unique to past history courses in how we went about learning history. The professor had us read primary sources ourselves to learn how historians go about explaining history. At first, this strategy was difficult to master but after a while it became easier and easier. A highlight of this course was …

The Diversity of Life (BIOL 122)

this was one of my most favorite classes I have taken at Longwood. I enjoyed this class because of the interesting material discussed, teaching style of the professor, and the small class size because of its honors status. A highlight of this course was the opportunity during lab to go to the river near Hampton …

The Unity of Life (BIOL 121)

Being a biology major, this course will remain significant to me because it was my first exposure to Longwood’s biology department. It did not let me down either, the professor made the material fun and interesting throughout the whole semester. This assured me that I made the right choice in my major. The highlight of …