A Letter to Senior Ben

Dear Senior Ben,

I am still trying to construct the image of seeing you walk down Wheeler Lawn to accept my degree.  The event seems so far away, so surreal.  I know I still have a long ways to go both academic and leadership wise to be the person in who I envision you as.  Luckily, I am beginning to take more active roles for both.  I have more confidence than I did before in both expressing myself in any social situation as well as knowing my limits and potential.  I am beginning to take on more leadership responsibilities in Global Leaders.  Who would’ve known that a guy who could barley have a conversation with an American could muster about enough courage (and the right amount of peer pressure) to try and take international students as mentors and help them adjust? And to make that become your number one passion before anything else and make it a priority.  That being said, I wonder if this passion has developed an all-time high, and how much Global Leaders has grown from now.  I want to be totally devoted to service, almost like a hobby.  Do you still have that mindset, and has it only grown as you prepare to go out into the real world?  I hope that it has and that you have let nothing or nobody try to persuade you that it is a lost cause.

I am also curious as to if you have any interviews coming up, or have you narrowed down the long list of possible jobs I still have rambling in my head.  Seniority implies confidence and security, but after following up with some of my graduate friends, finding a job is easier said then done.  Luckily our field is always in demand of those willing to take on the stress so I think that you will find something eventually.  And remember, go with the job that makes you happy, not with what pays more.  You cannot put a price on good memories.

On another note, I hope that you picked somewhere super awesome to study abroad.  As of know I have no idea of where I want to travel.  I wish I could travel to places in the Middle East, but there are slim to none criminal justice programs to study there.  Will I go to Europe?  If I do, I hope I go to Scotland or Ireland.  Grandma also loved to talk about her travels there, and if she liked it then I think I would too.  Senior Ben, I also hope you excuse me for my lack of traveling and inexperience thereof.  It does sound a bit strange that the Global Leader president never traveled outside the U.S., doesn’t it?  I have to muster up the courage soon.

What was the internship like?  Did it correspond to stuff we actually studied, or was it needless paperwork and filing?  I could care less if I get paid, I just pray that I receive an opportunity to do some real work and make a difference in some way.  Knowing you, you probably waited until the last minute and have recently just finished up.  I hope it generates a lot of experience and looks good to employers.

Last but not least, I have a few silly questions as to how you got to graduation day.  How many assignments did you do at the last minute?  How much sleep have you lost, or should I ask how much coffee did you consumer in your four years (I hope) here?  How many late night Cook Out Runs did you go on with your roommates, and how did we even pull off that Lounge Suite?  I only know the answers to these for two of the years, and I still can’t recall these numbers?  I’m sure it has doubled; neigh, tripled.

All in all, I admire where you are today.  I know you will not give up on any assignment you delve into, and that work ethic has allowed you to flourish.  People have taken notice, especially the ones you go out of the way to help.  I believe that you are a great guy.  They say you can’t rush the future, but I desperately just want to graduate and start my life.  I just have to learn how to enjoy the little moments and memories until then, and before I know it, I will be Senior Ben looking at this letter and answering these questions.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

a Younger Ben