Letter to Senior Self

As my freshman year comes to a close, I have learned one very important thing that everybody told me, but I didn’t want to believe. It goes by in a blink of an eye. Now, I have learned many other things, but lets face it, that is the one thing that came as a shock to me. Seriously, you’re a senior. I hope you have your life together because this is it. I still remember the very day you decided to attend Longwood. It is as if it were yesterday. If you don’t remember that day, then that is just disappointing. Since then, I have made so many incredible friends that I already know are going to be lifelong friends. I have had so many amazing experiences within just one year that are constantly filling my soul. I have also been able to get involved and learn about the Farmville community by helping others. All of what Longwood has brought me, I am thankful for.

I just want to brag about the friends I have made and the community in which I am surrounded by. I know, I know, you know a lot more people than current me, but still, let me live. There is not a day that goes by where I am walking to class and I see a smiling face saying “hi, how are you?” There is also not a day that goes by where I see someone I know and I stop what I am doing, yell there name, and run to them with my arms wide open. I’m not lying when I say that is an everyday occasion. What I am trying to get across, is that I could not be happier than I am here at Longwood and I hope you feel the same as you head towards graduation. There are four special individuals that I call my best friends. Selena Carrera, Hannah Ramey, Sarah Katherine Stansell, and Matthew Ward. These three amazing friends of mine are the ones I know I can always count on. I am not going to go on and on, but please, never forget what they have brought you this year. Friendship, laughter, stronger faith, and belonging. I am going to brag about my very best friend, Selena a little more though. Since day one, she has been the one always by my side. I honestly didn’t think we would ever be best friends like we are today. Please never lose the friendship you have with her. You’re soul sisters for a reason. Okay, okay, moving right along. The community and the people you meet is a major aspect of what makes Longwood what it is. There is no doubt in my mind that you will be a contributor in making Longwood, Longwood.

New opportunities arise every day and each day I see one of them, I fall more in love with Longwood than I ever though I could. Just this past year I got to partake in all of my Longwood firsts. From color wars to Chi walks. This is a school like no other. Besides attending all of the beloved Longwood traditions, I have gotten the opportunity to do things for others. With Longwood, I have worked within the Farmville Community, but I have also been able to expand my horizons and complete service in Puerto Rico. Because of this incredible trip, I am now in the process of planning one of the Alternative Break trips for the 2019-2020 academic year. With this being said, never lose the mindset of helping and serving others. That is where you get your greatest sense of self. It is so gratifying knowing that you helped make a difference in someones day. It doesn’t always have to be a big gesture. Even the little gestures are just as big.

Now, academics. This is a big one. You know, the whole reason you are here. I for one, would not have had the same first year experience as I did have I not had the professors that I had. All of them are there because they want you to succeed, but you do have to put in the effort. So, with that being said, if you didn’t utilize office hours, the library, the writing center, basically all of the above, what were you doing? You’ve set the bar so high for your self. You can’t and you won’t stop now. I know it may seem like its never ending, but you want to have your own practice right? I don’t know, maybe that has changed, but as of right now, stick to the FNP route, but don’t forget about the certification in cardiology. You’re too talented when it comes to the heart to throw that dream away. Do it for Christina Yang and yourself of course. Do know, if your goals changes, your strive won’t.

Senior year Kes, never lose focus. It is so easy to get distracted and lose touch of who you are and why you are where you are. Keep aiming high. Remember to always pray and keep your faith. I can’t believe you are already graduating. Just pass the NCLEX and head off to graduate school. I believe in you. You can do anything you put your mind to. Don’t forget to tell those that you are thankful for, thank you. Also, don’t forget to take this same pic in your cap and gown. 🙂