English 400: Advanced Writing Seminar

This was my last honors course. In the class, we attempted to understand the circumstances that cause a crisis. We discussed the crises of racism, global warming, and environmental devastation in order to craft our own proposal to address a crisis of our choosing. In the class we wrote a letter to an editor, disagreeing about a position stated by a public figure. We wrote an essay explaining why anti-black racism continues today, and we finished with our proposal.

I have mixed feelings about the class. I enjoyed the class very much. We had a lot of class discussion and interaction, although not as much as my English 215 class, I appreciated that we were asked to come up with our own ideas rather than to take notes through a lecture. The content of the class was disappointing. I do not feel like I learned very much. I got to acquaint myself with a different perspective on racial justice, but I do not feel that I have challenged myself either intellectually or skillfully from the class. The content did not relate directly or strongly enough to the main objective of dealing with crises as a citizen to think it was a worthwhile expenditure of time, and I do not think it was worthy of being the honors capstone course it was heralded as. I believe the teacher wanted to do a lot in the class, but I do not think the class was planned out enough to cover all of the material intended. Readings were cut short and the choice of what chapters to read and which ones not to read left me unsatisfied with each reading. I hope the professor improves the class in future semesters, the coronavirus pandemic has made everything more difficult, so there needs to be some grace afforded.

This artifact comes from our first assignment, where we write a letter to a public figure, disagreeing with something they said or published. I chose to select the author of the book we were reading in class since there was a lot of content for me to cover and it allowed me to synthesize all the internal thoughts I had about the book.

Loader Loading…