Home > Uncategorized > Day 11 — Back to Tutorials

Day 11 — Back to Tutorials

September 19th, 2020

Hey, all. Welcome to CryptoCL!

I met with Dr. Marmorstein yesterday. We discussed what we had developed toward OpenCL implementation of BLAKE2. Dr. Marmorstein was quite a bit further than I with his BLAKE2b implementation, but also ran into an issue. His issue was that the size of data he was trying to give was still too small. It was still larger than mine, which was at 100000, but still too small for the operations we were trying to accomplish.

We made the decision to go back to doing tutorials. Earlier in the project development, Dr. Marmorstein found a tutorial called “Hands On OpenCL“, written by Simon McIntosh-Smith and Tom Deakin. The goal of the tutorial is to provide exercises to educate on how OpenCL works. After taking a look at the files, it does seem like a very useful and effective way to learn OpenCL. We decided to spend the week working on these exercises.

This week will definitely be much more tame than the last week or so of development time, but will be essential in exercising and testing our understanding of the OpenCL standard. Expect the next few posts to be about the tutorial.

Thank you, and see you next time!

Kyle Jenkins.

Time spent today: 1 hour
Total Time: 14 hours 45 minutes

Categories: Uncategorized Tags: ,
  1. youmovies
    October 1st, 2020 at 07:03 | #1

2. Loudest Soul
    September 21st, 2020 at 10:30 | #2

eagerly waiting for your problem solving posts

3. Robert Mathias Marmorstein
    September 20th, 2020 at 20:28 | #3

Actually, that’s not quite my issue. My issue is that the kernel doesn’t seem to compile on the GPU and I don’t know why. I suspect that the problem is that I’ve set the kernel size too large and that the GPU refuses to allocate 1MiB of space for it, but I haven’t had a chance to try setting it smaller.