Home > Uncategorized > Day 19 — Crypto Research #1

Day 19 — Crypto Research #1

October 20th, 2020

Hey, all! Welcome to CryptoCL.

I spoke with Dr. Marmorstein very briefly last Friday about the research I had done on clblake. I’m going to add my notes onto the previous blogpost. Again, they’re just notes that try and make sense of what is going on under the hood of the program.

More importantly, I started to do some research in an attempt to develop our own Cryptographic hashing algorithm. As a short and sweet refresher on Cryptographic algorithms, I found a website called Crypto-IT that discusses how certain algorithms work. I determined that the best kind of algorithm to use would probably be some form of Block Cipher. This is so that we can easily split up the given message into blocks, and perform the encryption or decryption with every block. This would definitely not be a secure algorithm, most likely, as we would probably have to use one constant key for each block. However, as far as speed is concerned, it should definitely speed up the algorithm by removing the tedium of processing each block once at a time.

There is still more studying to be done! I plan to look more in-depth into the AES and DES algorithms, as they are block algorithms and were (and still are) widely used.

See you next time!

Kyle Jenkins.

Time spent today: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time: 28 hours 30 minutes

Categories: Uncategorized Tags: ,
  1. Robert Mathias Marmorstein
    October 26th, 2020 at 14:50 | #1

Security: This is probably okay for a cryptographic hash used only for message integrity and not for encrypting passwords. However, I’m not sure a block algorithm like AES or DES is the best way to implement a cryptographic hash. It requires distributing a key in advance, which eliminates a primary advantage of cryptographic hashng.

2. mutabi
    October 21st, 2020 at 17:18 | #2

cryptographic research is really important subject taught it on behalf of management information systems at universities are very nice turkey

3. Mutabi
    October 21st, 2020 at 17:17 | #3

bknz: https://duzce.edu.tr/yonetim-bilisim-sistemleri/