Home > Uncategorized > Day 6 — Tutorial #2, Decisions, and Name Change

Day 6 — Tutorial #2, Decisions, and Name Change

September 9th, 2020

Hi, all. Welcome to CryptoCL.

Firstly, the name change. I think the name change was a matter of time. I’m a bit disappointed it’s not a complete acronym, but I think there will be… less problems with this new one, so that should definitely outweigh the cons.

Now for the actual content of the blogpost — today I had begun implementing the Rob Farber tutorial. An interesting difference from the Erik Smistad tutorial from previous posts is that, besides being in C++/C respectively, Farber chose to implement his kernel source code as a constant character array, rather than its own file. I think I prefer Smistad’s method, however, as that will keep the kernel files separate from the main files and easier to find.

The same issue of the clCreateCommandQueue function call being deprecated in Smistad’s tutorial was also present in Farber’s tutorial, and was simply fixed the same way as last time — by adding “WithProperites” to the end of the function call name. I also ran into a simple bug where I forgot to include the stdc++ library in my compile command call.

The program now compiles and runs. However, the results are not what I expected it to be — this may just be an issue with the remote access, and needs to be tested physically. I double-checked by running Smistad’s test remotely, which also didn’t work correctly.

By the next blog post, I will run the program to make sure things are running smoothly. I will also begin with the actual implementation of BLAKE. We are deciding which version of BLAKE2 to implement — either BLAKE2b or BLAKE2s. 2b is optimized for 64-bit platforms, while 2s handles 8- and 32-bit platforms, as explained by the BLAKE2 RFC under 1. Introduction and Terminology. We may even implement both!

See you next time, and thank you for reading!

Kyle Jenkins.

Time spent today: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes

1. Robert Mathias Marmorstein
    September 9th, 2020 at 03:18 | #1

Perhaps post the results you got so we can see why they aren’t what was expected?