Letter to My Senior Self

Dear future Rachel,

Congratulations on your undergrad graduation! You should be very proud of what you have accomplished in your time at Longwood, and in just three years, nonetheless. It is hard for me to imagine what your life is like now. While I am writing this we are currently in the COVID-19 pandemic, and I sincerely hope the global situation has improved. I also believe that, while it is a difficult event to live through, you (I) will become stronger in the process.

This first year at Longwood has gone great for me. I made the President’s List my first semester and the Dean’s List this past semester, and have a Cumulative GPA of 3.932. While I am disappointed I was unable to keep my 4.0 GPA, I am sure you were happy to not have to worry about maintaining that standard over the past couple of years. I also made some some amazing friends this past year, Hannah and Sami, whom I am excited to become suitemates with next year. Unfortunately, as I am graduating a year early, I know I will eventually have to leave them behind in a way. I am sure this is something you are currently struggling to go through.

I am excited to see what my future at Longwood holds for me. I am currently evaluating different study abroad opportunities, and am leaning toward Archaeology of England trip led by Dr. Bates. Whatever study abroad program you chose, I am sure it was an amazing opportunity you will carry with you forever. I also look forward to volunteering as an honors mentor next year and, possibly, my senior year as well. Something I have been struggling with this first year was putting myself out there and being part of the Longwood community outside of classes so, along with being an honors mentor, I hope you have taken part in clubs or other activities on campus.

At the time I am writing this letter, I do not currently know what life holds for me after I graduate from Longwood. I am enjoying my classes for my major in Anthropology and Archaeology, but I am unsure of what I could end up doing as a profession. I have been considering different graduate school programs, but none so far seems to be the perfect fit for me. In fact, you reading this may feel as if your are in a similar situation, unsure of what to do with your future. As someone who has just finished her first year of college, I have some advice for you: Make the best decision for yourself at the time and try not to debate whether it would have been better to go in a different direction. A little over a year ago I was questioning which of seven colleges I should attend, ultimately choosing Longwood University. Now, I could not be happier with my decision.

No matter what you are choosing to do next, I am confident that your amazing years at Longwood have adequately prepared you for any challenges you may face.

I look forward to seeing who you become,

Rachel Boch