Goal 1.6

In this reflection I will be talking about how I have been able to apply knowledge of biology to one or more contemporary issues in society. The most impactful instance of this topic is when I took BIOL 404 which is Immunology. This was a super fun class because it talks about what I kind of want to do in the future. In this class I had to do a project with groupmates. The topic of the project was about discovering a a rare immunodeficiency of a patient that was given to us. We had to use knowledge that was given to us in lecture and we had to analyze and interpret data from immuno devices like ELISA and western blots. This really helped because after we discovered the immunodeficiencies of these cases we had to find what is the best therapy approach to use. These were real life cases so it had real world implications. This was super interesting and I loved every minute of this project. Another project that was a contemporary issue in society was my project on water and soil conservation. This project was done in BIOL 488 where the topic at hand was Climate change. In this project my partner and I suggested to replace water fountains with bottle fillers in order to dispense the right amount of water and reduce bacteria on the water fountain bowl. We would also secure soil by asking local restaurants to use their waste to a compost in order to have fresh soil. Something I am really proud of is learning a lot about climate change. This is because I have never really had an interest in ecology however climate change was a topic that I became passionate about while working on the project. I wish I could have actually ran an ELISA instead of just analyzing the results but all in all the experience was great. A challenge I encountered while doing the BIOL 488 presentation was explaining our biological responsibility on the Earth to a business major who cares mainly about money. All this experience was great for what I want to do in the future because the Biology and scientific studies I want to conduct in the future is more towards contemporary issues in society. One contemporary issue that I would want to learn more about is cancer but I guess I will learn more about that in graduate school.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17wrZJA0fQwFkA9HgGpolIFPN7ATgSdFIf4ndYyK1XhQ/edit#slide=id.g11ea9ca0fb5_3_243

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1DoyqUjz85AE5AB5-FYZ1k-RE4Wsi2Ri-eAV7oSPUDvE/edit#slide=id.p