Goal 1.5

As a Biology major I have been required to take two semester of chemistry and two semesters of physics along with one semester of organic chemistry. I would say that my favorite out of the two has been chemistry because it reminds me more of biology and I feel like they relate more closely together. I would say that I first exposed to chemistry in Biology is BIOL 120 which is the intro to biology class you start with your freshmen year. In this class we did a project with plants and seeing their growth when they are exposed to different distances from wifi radiation. This was a great experiment because it is now evident to me that a good amount of chemistry knowledge is needed in order to fully understand how a plant grows. From checking its chemical reaction in the soil, and pH of the soil in order for optimal growth. This was then confirmed by a class I have taken called BIOL 309 which is a class that discussed plant biology. In this class we did an experiment where we would test plant growth on phosphorus, nitrogen, hydrogen, and potassium. This relates to chemistry because these are all different elements that are different from water that plants are use to so it disrupts their chemical reaction in the soil. Attaining this skill has taught me a lot about plants and how biology and chemistry relate to each other. What I wish for the first is to take more organismal classes like anatomy and physiology since that was the reason I became a Biology major. However, I stayed a biology major because of cell biology so it evens out. Some thing that I would do different is take biochemistry because that seems really interesting and would have helped me gain much experience. now that I know this information I have been able to use this information in my internship where I water the greenhouse at Longwood in order to get optimal growth in the plants. This has helped me understand chemical fertilizers like miracle growth and so much more!

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12BjuWg6BIZaxEMqDOaT09XLSClL2RQ8jCX6OahZ1nNI/edit#slide=id.p

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1noS9k0g5B9q7dC1t-F5afGkA6XqyMX3ZKZk1_EfsmTA/edit