Study Abroad

<SUMMER 2021>

For me, study abroad looked a lot different than what I had thought/hoped it would be. I was suppose to go to Ireland during the summer of 2019 and it was cancelled to the global pandemic, Covid. Ireland was rescheduled for the summer of 2020 and I was so excited to be able to still go; however, that excitement was short-lived because that trip was cancelled once again due to the unknowns of Covid and the requirement of quarantining when we got there/before leaving to come back to the States. It would have been hard to quarantine when the trip was only for 10 days.

With feeling a bit discouraged (I know I was not the only one) and having little time to get some study abroad time under my belt before graduating, I decided to look at what was being offered virtually for the summer of 2021. I went to a meeting to look at my options, and I heard of the HAN Program (HAN Summer School Nijmegen- Netherlands). I was able to apply for the “Challenges in Healthcare” course.

The short 2 week program was the best part of my summer 2021! I learned so much in such a short period of time. I did not know what to expect since I would encounter various individuals from different cultures, beliefs, and backgrounds. Our online/virtual workshops and open class discussions made for an exciting and interesting intercultural experience. I was able to be more receptive and open-minded when discussing challenges and difficult topics within the healthcare system of different places from around the world. My description does not do this experience justice, so I have provided our reflection paper from the course to read for your own pleasure 🙂