KINS 389

I took KINS 389, Health and P.E. for Elementary Classroom Teachers, with Dr. Mathew Lucas.  This class fulfilled a liberal studies major requirement as well as an honors requirement.

This course helps students who are planning on becoming future teachers have the organizational skills and methods of instruction to teach health and physical education in the classroom.  This class was hands on in every way.  Not only were we learning ways to teach health and physical education in our own classroom but the professor was demonstrating these methods himself through his teaching.

One of our projects was to create a lesson plan and video demonstrating an integrated lesson.  This is combing a general education subject such as math, science, etc. with physical education.  The main focus was the physical aspect but we had to integrate movement.  I decided to create a relay race using multi digit addition and subtraction.  Being online for half of this semester, we posted our videos to a discussion board and our fellow classmates gave us feedback on our lesson.  It was a great experience watching what others have created and also getting feedback on our own.

I got the opportunity to enhance this course.  For our enhancement project, we did research on the benefits of recess and students with disabilities.  Not only were we to write the article, but there is a chance some may get published.  We worked in groups of 2-3 along side our professor to write an article on this topic.  My group decided on the benefits of recess for students with non-verbal learning disorders.  In this article, we wrote what the disability is, how it effects recess for those students and how we can make it more inclusive.   Unfortunately, we had to go online and did not present in the spring but I am super excited to present our findings in the fall of 2020.  This enhancement taught me how important recess is for students and how we can find ways to be all inclusive for students.  It also allowed me to work with fellow honors students and learn from each other and help each other succeed.  It allowed me expand my knowledge and it is something I will be carrying with me as a future educator.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zUtjXhz628ePgRVX6KI9qoNE69T-tUrWm42lxpy1kWc/edit