Scientific Reasoning BIOL 114

I took Biology 114, Biology for the Teaching Profession with Dr. Ben Campbell. This class fulfilled both a Pillar requirement as well as Liberal Studies major requirement.  This was one of my favorite classes I have taken so far regarding the professor and the material taught.

I knew this class was going to be a good one on the very first day of lab!  Walking into the classroom there were an array of different animal skulls on display.  Before he even explained the lab, I was super interested to see how many different bone structures there were in animals as well as the sizes.  For the lab, we were to go to each animal skull to guess the animal, infer what types of environment and what characteristics it might have to help or harm the animal in its environment,  depending on what they looked like.  An example of a characteristic would be, the skull has large holes for eyes meaning it could be used to seek out prey better.

Another one of my favorite activities was our final project.  For this project we worked in groups of 3-4 students and chose a Science SOL topic to create a full-length lesson on.  Not only were we to create a lesson but we actually got to teach it to to 3rd and 4th graders from an elementary school.  This project was an amazing experience being a future teacher and deepened my love for the career.