Quantitative Reasoning MATH 135

I took MATH 135, Mathematical Model of Financing, with Dr. Huyvert.  This class fulfilled a pillar course requirement. This class helps give the basics to financial success.

The class went into concepts of  simple/compound interest, annuities, and loans.  We even learned about credit cards and how to apply and what is the best one for different situations.  This class helped me feel more comfortable going into situations as these when I am out on my own. While taking this class I could not help but think how this should be a class students are required to take in high school.  Many students do not go to college after high school but instead go into workforce or military but with that said they still need information on how to do the math portion of financing.

During the class, we had to do a group project where we helped a friend with some calculations.  He gave us different situations on refinancing a mortgage and we had to write a letter to a friend that included calculations, a table, and of course friendly advice.  At the end of the paper, we had to come to a conclusion on what would be the best option would be for our friend from the evidence the calculations the calculations show.  I found this project super helpful by using real life situations that may happen to me one day.

Never in this class could a student bring up the point “When am I going to use this math in my everyday life?”

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Hx6HpYvYIdFQ7Yyz0tX198IN1UECO9IJP9XrcuAtOA/edit