3.5 – Perform Competently

Students will be able to perform competently in a professional setting.

From the very beginning, almost every biology course I have taken has required me to create a poster or oral presentation to present for the Research Showcase hosted each semester by Longwood University. Presenting at the research showcase taught me how to conduct myself in a professional manner as I interacted with faculty members, fellow students, and other attendees at these events. Throughout these presentations, I got much better at being able to anticipate and answer questions that were asked to me, as well as explain my research to people from a wide variety of backgrounds.

I have been on a handful of job interviews in the past, but until my Senior Assessment course (BIOL 489), I had not even thought about the possibility of having to go on an interview for graduate schools. By going through this experience of simulating both a job and graduate school interview, I was able to easily identify my strengths and weaknesses, as shown in my reflective essay (BIOL 489 Mock Interview Reflection). This assignment was incredibly helpful in preparing for professional interactions, specifically in regard to job and nursing school application processes during my senior year.

During my senior year, I also had the opportunity to complete my internship at the National Institute of Health (NIH) Clinical Center. I worked with Dr. Susan Smith who helped coordinate lectures for me to attend by esteemed healthcare professionals and researchers about a multitude of topics. I was also able to attend rounds in both the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and the COVID-19 ICU at the clinical center. This experience was critical for me to be able to connect my background and education in biology to healthcare and nursing, which is what I hope to pursue. I learned valuable skills in regard to communicating with professionals and coordinating meetings, as well as learning how various healthcare systems operate. I got to see first-hand how doctors and nurses work together to develop, implement, and document treatment plans for patients.

Every single one of my courses within the biology program has prepared me in some way to act accordingly in different professional settings, which will be really beneficial in my ongoing education, as well as future career and job experiences.