1.5 – Physics and Chemistry

Students will be able to integrate physics and chemistry concepts into relevant biological contexts.

Conducting research that focused more on the quantitative side arose during my lab experiences in chemistry. I was able to use many of the writing skills I had acquired in previous biology courses to my lab reports in chemistry (CHEM 111 Lab Report 5). My few semesters in chemistry, alongside my biology courses, emphasized the scientific method. These classes taught me to understand and write different parts of a scientific research paper. After learning how to write each section, I wrote one of my very first complete lab reports in General Chemistry 1 (CHEM 111 Lab Report 10).

I continued on in my chemistry education all the way through Organic Chemistry 1 and General Chemistry 2. I found that many of these courses emphasized the importance of learning each section of a scientific article in order to be competent in various disciplines. As a result, we continued to write different sections for our lab experiments in General Chemistry 2 (CHEM 112 Report Sheet). This lab report shows the lab report following an experiment looking into chemical kinetics and temperature dependence.

I don’t have much to show for my physics classes since they were taken as dual enrollment courses at my high school. Despite my lack of collegiate documentation in this subject, my two semesters of general physics in high school did prove to be beneficial in my anatomy and physiology classes, as well as my Neurobiology of Motor Control seminar (BIOL 455).