3.4 Collaborate effectively in a group setting within the discipline

Being able to work in a group is important for so many disciplines, but especially in science. I have worked within groups for, I believe, all of my science classes at Longwood. While it can honestly be frustrating at times, it is really beneficial to learn how to collaborate in a group. One of my earliest experiences working in a group was in BIOL 251, intro to ecology and evolution my sophomore year. For this class, my group had to come up with a project all on our own and write a proposal for it. It was difficult to write a proposal with multiple people adding to it, but we completed it. This research proposal was probably my earliest proposal I have ever written, and I think it turned out alright.

One of my more recent experiences in a group setting was in BIOL 475, animal behavior. Similarly to BIOL 251, my group and I had to come up with a project and write a research proposal on it. This is something I have done before, so it wasn’t too daunting of a task. I will say, I had a lot of trouble with that particular group, and getting this proposal turned in was a bumpy road. However, I am still relatively proud of how it turned out, and I think it really reflects how much I have grown in writing proposals and collaborating with group members in writing.

This is a skill that I see myself continuing to work on in veterinary school, as I am positive I will have lab projects with groups once again. This skill is also important in almost every discipline, and is something that will continue to develop and improve throughout my life.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1lKeYFg8UVoOthmccmjoYCKd3qtWCZHCh