1.6 Apply knowledge of biology to one or more contemporary issues in society

Biology can be applied to so many areas in the world, including issues within our own society. One of the first classes where I learned about some of the issues in society biology is related to was BIOL 251, ecology and evolution. Climate change and other changes to the environment were discussed in this class. One assignment required us to do a journal reflection on an article that talked about introduced predators to an ecosystem, and how they damaged the environment. Human impact on the environment is a huge issue in today’s society, and when we introduce new species into new areas, we can severely damage them past the point of no return.

One of my most recent classes, BIOL 366, biodiversity and conservation, focuses heavily on societal issues. Just like in BIOL 251, we discuss climate change and other ways humans are reducing the biodiversity of the planet. A similar assignment to the one I described above for this class was to read two articles on genetic editing, and the ethics of it. The articles talked about possibly causing the extinction of mosquitoes to prevent the spread of dangerous diseases like malaria, the Zika virus and West Nile Virus. This assignment required us to think about the ethics of this situation, and how it could impact society either negatively or positively.

I think it is very important to be aware of how biology applies to society, especially since I am studying it and have a passion for it. I have grown a lot in my knowledge on how biology impacts society, and realized how important it is to be well-versed in biological concepts to solve many societal issues, such as climate change. These classes have broadened my knowledge tremendously, and I can confidently say I know a lot more about biological concepts in society now than I have ever before. Understanding it allows us to come up with solutions for these problems. As with most things I have learned at Longwood, I will carry this knowledge with me everywhere, and do my best to teach others and apply it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1qlOtPxhq4jpep45fGvFiwGUwd0Pd99p3