1.4 Analyze and apply the major principles of organismal biology

While plenty of early biology classes I took had talked about organisms and their functions, not a lot was discussed on exactly how they function. I only truly learned about that in my BIOL 306 class, vertebrate physiology. The next best thing was any of my classes talking about bacteria or yeast. In my BIOL 120 class, integrative biology, we experimented with bacteria as one of our lab projects. Since it was the very first biology course we could take as biology majors, it was pretty simple and not too complicated. Despite that, I still learned about some organismal biology related to bacteria, how they function and grow.

My vertebrate physiology class took a huge jump into discussing actual organismal biology. I was super excited for this class, as the material would be really helpful for veterinary school and the veterinary career. In this class, we talked about how vertebrates worked. We discussed topics like respiration, muscle movement, the dive response, hormonal changes and so much more. Our exams for this class were very different than ones I have had before. They were take home exams and were very conceptual. I actually liked this type of exam, and I think it really helped me think conceptually about these topics instead of just memorizing them. The information I learned in this class, as well as my integrative biology course, will stick with me as I work on becoming a veterinarian.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1xa1KZew7M57bmogrMVaiQWWU8tTT4RHu