My name is Victoria Shirey, and I am taking English 470: Professional Writing. I am currently an undergraduate student at Longwood University, and I am studying Communication Sciences and Disorders. This course is very applicable to me because I am going to be entering the professional world very soon as I go to Graduate School to become a Speech-Language Pathologist. Professional Writing is something that I will use every day as a graduate student and as a Speech-Language Pathologist.
This e-Portfolio is designed to showcase all that I have learned throughout this semester in my English 470. Throughout this course, we have had several significant assignments, and some smaller assignments as well, which have helped to polish the way that I write professionally. The significant assignments consist of a brochure, a press release, a bad-news letter, a persuasive letter, and a formal report. Some of these were group assignments and others were done alone, so my professional collaborative skills were also polished in this course.
Below is the list of Course Learning Outcomes of English 470:
- Analyze and produce writing genres commonly found in the professional world (e.g., business, gov., media);
- Create professional documents that use plain English (clear, concise, and grammatically correct);
- Conduct research to create content for a variety of professional documents (memos, letters, reports, etc.);
- Create professional documents that uses design–standard formats, layout, use of graphics, etc.
- Practice oral communication skills to present content effectively (enhanced with multimedia tools);
- Participate productively in collaborative projects.