Post #1: About the Author

Hello, my name is Amber Thomas and I am a sophomore English major with a concentration in Rhetoric and Professional Writing at Longwood University. The purpose of this blog is to create an online portfolio of some of my rhetorical criticism I will be conducting for my English 301 course called Rhetorical Criticism of Film, Pop Culture, and Multimodal Texts with Dr. Guler. The only other class I have taken concerning my Professional Writing concentration is Technical Writing with Dr. Lettner-Rust. By studying how rhetoric is used in popular culture, I hope to gain a better understanding of how I can use the different rhetorical appeals in my future career and writings. Some of the things I may be analyzing include speeches, movies, ads, and other artifacts of that nature. More obviously, this blog is for Dr. Guler to make sure I am completing my assignments. On the other hand, future employers of mine may look at this blog as a reference for my ability to analyze texts as well as my ability to navigate this platform, WordPress.

Watch this short video to learn more about the emergence of the study of rhetoric and how it is used to persuade: Rhetoric

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.