TED-Style Talk

Outcomes Targeted:

1) analyze and produce writing genres according to the rhetorical situation of workplace contexts;
3) conduct research to create content for a variety of professional documents (memos, letters, reports, etc.);
4) create professional documents that use design principles;
5) practice oral communication skills to present content effectively (enhanced with multimedia tools);

The Ted-Style Talk was one of my favorite assignments in ENGL 470. I believe it addressed outcomes 1, 3, 4, and 5. For outcome 1, I had to use the rhetorical appeals in my presentation to both explain my problem and explain my solution. For example, when explaining my problem, which was that American’s feel depressed and anxious due to COVID-19 isolation requirements, I used logos by presenting researched data. For outcome 3, I conducted an extensive amount of research for the presentation. Demonstrated by my reference list, I researched studies on the effects of social isolation as well as the influence of Animal Crossing: New Horizons on anxiety and depression. I also researched the correct formatting of TED-Style talks by watching several examples. The assignment addressed outcome 4 as it was dependent on effect design. I used a gaming-style presentation, which graphics, a color scheme, and moving principles to meet outcome 4. Lastly, it addressed outcome 4, as I had to present this to my fellow classmates. I had a specific time requirement I had to meet. In order to meet this outcome, I tried my best to avoid reading from the slides. I instead tried to create a fun and intersting script in order to maintain my classmates’ attention.