Self-Care Plan

Self-Care Plan: Outline a plan with at least 10 strategies you will actively employ to “survive and thrive” (maintain/enhance) your physical/psychological health as a counseling graduate student/counseling professional

1. Practice Mindfulness- I will practice mindfulness by taking quiet moments to relax and reflect on how I am feeling. I will practice deep breathing exercises as well. Mindfulness helps individuals stay in the moment and reduce feelings of stress and negativity. It can help me calm down when I am feeling especially stressed, and can also be used before bed time to help me get a good nights sleep.
  2. Affirmations- In order to keep a positive mindset I will say positive affirmations to myself, and will write encouraging affirmations in my planner that I will look at everyday. Affirmations can help me maintain a positive attitude and prevent self-defeating thoughts from taking over. I also have an affirmations card deck that often include a mindfulness technique to practice on it as well.
  3. Yoga- I love to do yoga to help me stay physically and mentally happy. I take out my yoga mat, yoga block, and foam roller and often follow along to a guided yoga video on YouTube. Sometimes I will just put on relaxing music and go along with my own flow of yoga positions and stretches. I practice mindfulness techniques when I do yoga, being intentional with my movements, staying mindful of what crosses my mind and how I am feeling, and practicing deep breathing exercises to help keep me centered.
  4. Weighted Hula Hoop- I use a weighted hula hoop to maintain my physical health when I do not feel like exercising. It is easy to put on a Netflix show while I hula hoop in order for me to get some exercising in for the day. Using a weighted hula hoop is a simple way to exercise when I am feeling lazy or tired after a long day. I like to do yoga stretches following hula hooping.
  5. Plan Meals- Planning healthy meals ahead will ensure I am not consistently eating fast food or unhealthy microwavable frozen meals. Eating healthy helps maintain my physical and mental health. I like to make a healthy casserole or a “family-style” meal that I can keep in the refrigerator and heat up during the week.
  6. Journaling- Journaling helps me understand my feelings, think through any tough situations, and set goals. I enjoy doing this at night before bed to help me winddown and be mindful of the day I’ve had. Journaling is something I have kept up with since middle school and is one of my favorite methods of self-care.
  7. Good Night’s Sleep- I will strive to go to bed at a reasonable time in order to wake up the next morning feeling refreshed and ready to go for the day ahead of me. Practicing mindfulness techniques before bed and integrating gentle yoga stretches are helpful in getting my mindset in the right place before sleep. I do not function well when I do not get enough sleep, so I strive for at least 8 hours of sleep a night.
  8. CAPS- I will go to the school’s free counseling services to ensure my mental health remains a top priority. Even counselors should go to counseling to make sure they are giving attention to their own mental health instead of just taking care of other people. Maintaining mental health is an important part of self-care.
  9. Good Hygiene- I will practice good hygiene to make sure I am keeping good care of my body. This includes keeping up with my morning and night time routine of face care, teeth brushing, and hair brushing. I also shower regularly and keep up with my nail care. Taking care of your physical body is an important part of self-care that helps me feel like my best self.
  10. Stay Healthy- I will make sure to go to the doctor if I feel sick and will not put myself in possible unhealthy situations where I could contract COVID-19 or other illnesses. Even though COVID cases are less severe, it is still important to remain vigilante. Feeling healthy is an important part of feeling your best and doing your best work.