Position Statement II

Position Statement II: After taking 503, in what ways were your personal/professional
goals/beliefs strengthened and/or challenged? In other words, where are you now in terms of your professional plans and what has changed?

After taking my Introduction to Counseling class, I have a more well-rounded understanding of the counseling profession. My personal and professional goals and beliefs were strengthened through in-class activities, group discussions, online discussion boards, and informational videos. Regarding my professional plans with achieving my masters of science degree in mental health counseling and then going on to work with children, nothing has changed. After hearing from a variety of different counselors from the panel discussion and the LPC interview, I was able to receive a lot of advice relating to my professional development as a counselor. I have a deeper understanding on the connection between my personal and professional self, and how my beliefs and goals are impacted by both. For example, my personal values that make me unique such as my emphasis on kindness and open communication also impacts who I am professionally. Within the counseling profession, that could look like choosing a theoretical orientation specific to my personality, in addition to the client’s needs. This class has definitely helped shape my idea of my future self as a counselor, and what that actually entails.