Letter to Senior Self

Dear Senior Chanelle,

It is crazy to think that I am sitting in my dorm room, and I am writing to my senior self. As I am sitting in my bed, it is hard to imagine leaving a place that I have called home for the lasted three years. Every time I think about my senior year, it feels like yesterday that my family was helping me move into my freshman dorm. Now I am so close to earning my bachelor’s degree and starting my career as a special education teacher.

You have grown so much in the last three years. When you first came to Longwood in 2018, you were still quiet and shy around new people unless you were with close friends, and now, you have blossomed into a confident young woman. You have challenged yourself in and out of the classroom, and you have taken several leadership roles to give back to the organization that has given a sense of community, friendships, and memories that you will carry with you as you continue on this life journey. More importantly, you have learned new skills from your classes and extracurricular activities that will serve you well as a special education teacher. I do not doubt that you are prepared for whatever challenges you may encounter in life because you always remembered that God is always with you.

During the last three years of your college experience, you have gained new friendships that will last for a lifetime. You have met your ride-or-die best friend, Megan. You two have spent hours on the phone – either texting or calling -stressing about school and life. You two have spent hours in Upchurch doing homework and preparing for your future careers as special education teachers. Although you have been friends for two years, you develop a bond as sisters and promise to be there for each other in this lifetime. You also met your closest friend, Sarah, who inspires you to be a better person. You two have been friends since the beginning of your college experience. You two always sharing life updates and discussing strategies and assignments in our special education classes. You two are always there for each other. Even though you have Megan and Sarah in your life, you have made a countless number of friends who are continuously supporting you in your education journey.

The biggest accomplishment you have done in college is joining a sorority. When you first started college, you were not sure if you wanted to join a sorority. You thought that you would not be good enough to join a sorority; however, there was a spark in you and reminded you of your time in Kisura and the longing to be a part of a sisterhood again. When you join Alpha Sigma Tau in the spring semester of your sophomore, you realized that you had made the right. You love your sisters, and you have made so many new memories.

It is sad to think that you are about to leave a place that you have called home for the last three years. You have made so many memories and friendships. You have joined numerous clubs and organizations and expanded your knowledge in your classes. Senior year is a time to be thankful for everything that Longwood has given you. You would not be the person you are today without the opportunities that you have realized here at Longwood. My challenge for you is to continue to raise the bar because we can do anything that we set our minds to do.

Sincerely,

Junior Chanelle