Study Abroad

In the summer of 2018, I had the amazing opportunity to study abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark. I took a positive psychology class for 3 weeks, all while experiencing the culture and local life of Denmark. I stayed in a house with 15 other people, only a few minutes from DIS headquarters where I went to class everyday. We weren’t in class for too long, so it gave us plenty of time to explore and take day trips to famous spots in Copenhagen.

Positive psychology was a really interesting class that I was excited to take. It’s not offered at Longwood, and it was a really cool class that took me a little bit outside my comfort zone. We discussed things such as why we are happy, what in our life we need to be fulfilled, and so many others things that many of us don’t think about on a regular basis. Each day we did group work with different people that allowed us to build deeper connections and learn new things about people from all across the country. We were able to do several field studies in the class that allowed us to actually go out into the city and observe Danes and try to figure out why it’s called the happiest country in the world!

Me and my friend Sarah at Copenhagen’s most popular picture spot Nyhavn

A view of the canal on a day in the city

A local staple in Copenhagen on Wednesdays…huge cinnamon rolls for only 17DKK, roughly only $2!

I had such a great experience on my study abroad and cannot wait to travel further in the future. It challenged me in new ways that I didn’t expect and definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone, but I loved every minute of it!