Welcome to my Professional Writing Portfolio, my name is Haley Klepatzki and I am a senior English major with a minor in rhetoric and professional writing. This past semester I was enrolled in Professional Writing Skills and learned a plethora of skills that will transfer from the classroom to a professional working environment. This course has required a series of assignments from bad news letters, persuasive letters, brochures, press releases, and a formal report which all taught me helpful techniques in creating visually attractive, clear, concise professional documents. For each of these assignments, the course goals have always been a system of creating the most effective documents. These course goals are:
- Analyze and produce writing genres commonly found in the professional world (e.g., business, gov., media);
- Create professional documents that use plain English (clear, concise, and grammatically correct);
- Conduct research to create content for a variety of professional documents (memos, letters, reports, etc.);
- Create professional documents that uses design—standard formats, layout, use of graphics, etc.
- Practice oral communication skills to present content effectively (enhanced with multimedia tools);
- Participate productively in collaborative projects.
The purpose of this portfolio is to reflect on the course goals in relation to the professional documents that I and my group members have created throughout the semester.