Hi everyone! My name is Valarie Fridley and I am currently a junior here at Longwood University studying to get my Business Administration degree with a concentration in Accounting. I took interest in business when my father began running his own company in 2006. I had the privilege to go in his office and work with his accountant to see how operations ran before college and I immediately took interest. After working with his accountant, I knew that what was I wanted to do and began looking for jobs so I could get hands on experience. I have worked for J.B. Elia & Associates, LLC, for two years now and I cannot imagine doing anything else. After college, I hope to study and get my CPA license.
Introduction of ePortfolio:
The purpose of my ePortfolio is to reflect and present what I have learned this semester in my English 400 class. I had the privilege to be taught by a professor who truly valued teaching her students and applied her knowledge to the classroom throughout the semester. Throughout our course assignments, I have learned to write concisely, initiate new ideas, attend to detail, and learn how to make a difference through active citizenship writing. Not only was I able to apply these things in my course assignments, but it has benefited me in my everyday life as well.
Course Learning Outcomes:
1) Engage in the process of citizen leadership by investigating multiple perspectives on important public issues.
2) Understand the nature of public discourse/debate as determined by purpose, audience, and context.
3) Choose appropriate formats in writing for a variety of purposes.
4) Analyze the effectiveness of their own texts and processes for specific rhetorical situations.
5) Understand how the knowledge, skills, and values learned in general education are interwoven and interrelated, and how they can contribute to the process of citizen leadership.