Home > Uncategorized > Day 1 — Introduction and Goals

Day 1 — Introduction and Goals

August 31st, 2020

Hello, and again, welcome to Implementing Cryptography with OpenCL, or ICOC for short!

I am Kyle Jenkins, and I am tackling this project to gain more experience in programming in the graphical interface. The goal of the project is to implement a cryptographic hash in a graphic environment, rather than in the CPU, in order to encrypt and decrypt values. To do this, I will be using OpenCL and using the BLAKE2 hash function.

Open Computing Language, or OpenCL, is an open-source standard that allows for parallel and cross-platform programming. This standard will allow for a connection between the CPU and the graphical environments. This will be necessary to activate the cryptographic hash function that will be processed within the graphics card.

BLAKE2 is a cryptographic hash function that is at least as secure as and faster than SHA-3, another cryptographic hash function. It is also one of the hashing components of Wireguard, a VPN service. The BLAKE2 function will be implemented so that it will be processed using OpenCL in the graphics card.

The final goal is to be able to accurately write a complete algorithm that will hash values using the BLAKE2 function through the graphics card, using OpenCL as the parallel programming standard, and encrypt/decrypt the input into an output. The algorithm would first begin on the CPU with an input of the values to encrypt or decrypt. Then, the algorithm would call functions written to be processed within the graphical environment and create a BLAKE2 hash. Finally, the graphical environment would take the input and, using the hash, encrypt or decrypt the input and return the results as the output, back onto the CPU.

This blog will be where I post my progress as I research and develop this algorithm. Here, I will post results of my research, studies, and progress toward the algorithm. You can expect at the very least two posts during the business week and one post during the weekend!

Thank you for your interest in my project!

Sincerely,
Kyle Jenkins.

1. Robert Marmorstein
    September 1st, 2020 at 19:41 | #1

These are good definitions, but if you have taken them from somewhere else, you should probably cite them — especially if we are going to use them in your presentation.